A memorial sign to the veterans of the Great Patriotic War who worked in the prosecutor’s office was opened on Victory Day in Petrozavodsk near the building of the republican supervisory department of Karelia, TASS reports. The project of the monument was developed by the Chairman of the Board of the Karelian Branch of the Union of Designers of Russia Egor Permyakov.
It is noted that in 1941 more than 50 employees of the central apparatus and district prosecutor’s offices went to the front, to partisan detachments and extermination battalions. Of these, 22 were killed or missing. With the outbreak of the war, the supervisory authority was evacuated first to Pudozh, and then to Belomorsk. In the rear, its employees ensured control over the observance of wartime laws.
The prosecutor’s office returned to work in Petrozavodsk in 1944. Its employees, among other things, participated in the restoration of the affected settlements, in the harvesting of timber and firewood, as well as in rafting work. During the war years and in the post-war period, about 200 combatants worked in the republic’s prosecutor’s office, many of them were wounded.