The State Duma of the Russian Federation adopted in the second reading a bill on punishment for treason, disclosure of state secrets, espionage and defection to the enemy, as stated by the Chairman of the Security and Anti-corruption Committee of the State Duma Vasily Piskarev.
“The measures will strengthen responsibility for crimes against the security and sovereignty of our country. The bill toughens penalties for treason, espionage, for participation in armed conflicts on the side of the enemy, for recruiting mercenaries, as well as for public calls to carry out activities to the detriment of Russia’s security,” Piskarev said.
Thus, the toughening of the punishment will affect the following persons:
- those who have access to state secrets for sending carriers of classified information abroad will face up to 4 years in prison if the crime does not contain signs of treason and espionage;
- those who have access to state secrets, whose right to leave the Russian Federation is restricted by law, to be fined from 200 to 500 thousand rubles or imprisonment for up to 3 years for violation;
- those who call to carry out activities directed against the security of Russia to be fined from 100 to 500 thousand rubles or imprisoned for a period of 2 to 4 years;
- those switching to the side of the enemy in an armed conflict will be considered traitors and will get punishment from 12 to 20 years in prison and a fine of up to half a million rubles;
- those who cooperate with foreign special services to be punished by imprisonment for up to 8 years and a fine of up to 1 million rubles;
- those who are repeatedly caught in propaganda or demonstration of symbols of Nazism and extremist organizations will face up to 4 years in prison.